Previously, we looked at the impact of home field advantage in the NFL and found that the home team has won 58.04% of games played since 1990 - for a record of 3125-2255-4.
While this gives us a 40,000 ft. view of the importance of home field advantage, we wanted to get a more detailed picture by looking at the difference of home field advantage among each NFL team.
Below, we find the home winning percentage of each NFL team since 1990:
|Team||Home Games||Home Game Wins||WIN%|
As can be seen in the table above, there is a wide difference between the best and worst teams at home. The Packers/ Steelers lead the way with a 72.16% win rate while the lowly Browns have a win rate of just 38.82% at home - a difference of 33.34% between the top and bottom teams.
Interestingly, a total of six teams are below 0.500 at home. Clearly, home field advantage isn't a guarantee for success.
But to get a clearer picture, we decided to compare each teams home win % to their, win % as a visitor and their win % overall. This gives us a better sense of home field advantage as we can take into consideration the win rate of the team overall.
We narrowed our focus down to the last 10 years, 2002-2011 when the NFL moved to the eight division format.
|Team||Overall Games||Overall Wins||WIN%||Home Game Wins||Home WIN%||Away Game Wins||Away WIN%||Home WIN% - Away WIN%|
In the above table, we find a lot of interesting statistics for teams over the last 10 seasons - with one of the biggest being that every team in the NFL, except for the New York Giants, has a greater winning % at home compared to their away winning %.
Clearly, teams benefit from playing at home. On average, NFL teams win rate of home games are 14.46% higher than away games. But teams do range quite a bit in how they play at home vs. away.
- Ravens lead the way in Win % difference between home and away with a 35% difference between their win rate at home and their win rate away.
- Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks and Vikings round out the top 5 in terms of teams with the greatest difference between home and away win rates.
- As mentioned before, the Giants are the only team with a better away win rate with the team winning 57.50% of away games vs. winning 52.50% of home games - a 5% difference.
- Saints, Eagles, Panthers, and Dolphins/ Raiders round out the bottom 5 in terms of teams with the greatest difference between home and away win rates.
- Patriots lead the way in all three categories with a Win % of 76.88% overall, 83.75% at home and 70.00% away from Foxborough.
- Lions have the lowest Win % overall, winning only 29.38% of their games due in great part to their away winning rate o'f 18.75%.
- Surprisingly, mainly because of the well known "Black Hole", the Raiders are tied with the Cleveland Browns as having the worst at home Win % - winning only 38.75% of their home games.
With 31 of 32 teams in the NFL having better home records than away with an average difference of 14.46%, home field advantage is clearly a powerful force in the league. But not every team benefits from it in the same way.
Do any of the numbers suprise you? Let us know in the comments below!